The Barrington Area Historical Society's mission is to collect,
preserve, document, and exhibit the history of this area and
to provide specialized education programs
from pre-school through adult.
The Barrington Area Historical Society was founded in 1968 by local residents dedicated to preserving the history and culture of the Barrington area. Since that time, the Society has become an integral part of the Barrington area communities. Currently the Society operates from two restored folk Victorian houses on Main Street in Barrington. The Society's Store is located on the first floor of the Donlea-Kincaid House. The Society's offices are located on the second-floor of the Applebee House.
In 1999 the original Wichman Blacksmith Shop dating back to 1929 was moved from its original location on Station Street in downtown Barrington to the grounds of the Barrington Area Historical Society and located behind the the Donlea-Kincaid House. The Creet Carriage Barn, a Forge, and lobby area were added to the Blacksmith Shop to create a historical streetscape. The Applebee House, Donlea-Kincaid House, Blacksmith Shop, Creet Carriage Barn, Forge, Exhibit Center and Applebee One Room Schoolhouse now comprises the museum complex known as Old Barrington Center.